Friends of the San Gabriels Mount Fundraising Efforts to Save Historic Sturtevant Camp
“All I need is 200 people to donate $100 each,” announced a petite woman in a bright green t-shirt, perched atop a wooden bench, smoke rising from the fire pit in front of her.
Our host for the day was Deb Burgess, owner of the general store and lunch spot Adam’s Pack Station, at the Chantry Flats trailhead at the Big Santa Anita Canyon area of the Angeles National Forest. Seventy of us arrived by 7:30 on a Sunday morning for what was advertised as a “Hike Into History” (co-hosted by ModernHiker.com founder Casey Schreiner), but the real purpose of our early morning gathering became abundantly clear: Burgess is raising money to buy Sturtevant Camp, a historic resort founded by Wilbur Sturtevant in 1893. It’s one of the only preserved reminders of the Golden Age of Hiking when women in long Victorian dresses once climbed the San Gabriel Mountains.
“We are here to save this beautiful camp,” proclaimed Burgess.
Read more »
Join Casey Schreiner of Modern Hiker and Deb Burgess of Adams’ Pack Station for a hike to historic Sturtevant Camp.
Just as they did a century ago, we will travel along a well-marked trail into the Camp, where we’ll be able to peek into all of the buildings on site, including the oldest existing U.S. Forest Service structure still in its original location, a beautiful hand built cabin (circa 1903) that served as the first ranger station, and the original 1897 Swiss Dining Pavilion, this currently serves as Sturtevant Lodge. Just as they did in 1936, Adams’ Pack Station will bring along the pack train with lunch and water to the Camp.
Meet here at Adams’ Pack Station Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 7:30 am. The cost is FREE, light lunches and water will be provided (If you’re a big eater or thirsty hiker, snacks and water are available at the Pack Station store, or you can bring your own.) Parking is available in the lots at Chantry Flat and along the road with an Adventure Pass, or in the private parking lot at Adams’ Pack Station
This is a fundraiser to save Sturtevant Camp. Friends of the San Gabriels will raise money by selling T-shirts, and of course donations are more than welcome. Check out the list of donor incentives below. You can download the fundraiser prospectus here (pdf).
Moderate hike – approx. 8 miles round trip, hike at your own risk.
For More Information Contact Deb Burgess at 626-447-7356
Remember that your donations are tax-deductible.
- For donations of $5,000 or more, we will name a guest cabin after you or an honoree of your choice. Plus, you have the privilege of reserving the Retreat Cottage for yourself and up to 5 friends twice a year for two years.
- For donations of $1,000, you can adopt a cabin (you get a plaque in the cabin) and you can reserve the Retreat Cottage for yourself and up to 5 friends during 2015.
- For donations of $500, you can be one of many to adopt the Ranger cabin or another building and reserve the Retreat Cottage.
- For donations of $100, you can enter to win a full weekend in the Retreat Cottage for yourself and up to five friends. Packing included. We will draw the winner in late February.
- For donations of $25 or more, we will treat you to lunch at the pack station on a music Sunday. Yum!
- Finally, all donors above $100 will be listed on a donation wall and receive a free t-shirt. (unless you want to remain anonymous).
On April 12th, 2014 the family and friends of Lila Adams, co-proprietor of Adams’ Pack Station and caretaker of Big Santa Anita Canyon for over thirty years, gathered here at the pack station to celebrate her life (1919 – 2013).
Folks came from far and wide to remember together the woman who treated everyone with kindness and love. The celebration featured live music, good food, stories and reunions.
Lila’s family members planted a native Coast Live Oak in her honor, that she may live on at the place that she loved for decades to come.
Below are a few photos of shared memorabilia and videos of folks sharing stories about Lila…